Monday, April 25, 2011

Do clothes make the workout?

I admit it.  I have a workout clothes/shoes fetish.  I have an entire dresser devoted to sportswear:  tops, shorts, capris, cargos, hoodies, ball caps....even jewelry.

I guess it started when I began teaching fitness classes at the gym.  When I trained for Bodypump, we were told what colors to wear (red, black, white or gray) and that our job was like any other - look professional and "put together".  Then came Zumba.  OYE!  Let me just say, these are smart cookies these zumba people.  Their zumba wear line shouts "Party!"  Funky colors, crazy styles, fun accessories that make you want to workout.

Think about it.  When you wear a super cute outfit, you feel better about yourself.  You want to go out and about in your new threads.  So, if this is what it takes to motivate you to move, then what's the harm?  Why not reward yourself with some new gear when you meet a goal?

And while we are thinking about gym clothes....here it is - Audrey's what NOT to wear list:

Guys:
1.  Sleeveless muscle shirts are great, as long as you don't have a jungle growing out from under your arms or on your back.

2.  No short shorts!  That 70's basketball short is best left in the 70's.

3.  Tanks or tshirts that boast your attributes:  "Welcome to the gun show" etc. .....unless of course there is a gun show to see.

4.  Sweat pants that are 3 sizes too small.  Just don't.

Gals:
1.  Shorts/pants etc. that are so tight that they require a dusting of talcum powder to pull on or off.

2.  Ditto on the tops.

3.  Bra tops are for those that have earned the right to wear them.  (Ab-alicious chics only)

4.  Excessive perfume, makeup and coiffed hair.  We're here to workout right?

I'm all about trying to look your best - even at the gym- as long as we don't forget why we got all gussied up in the first place.

1 comments:

Brinda said...

Guess I'll put away my bra top and short shorts. *wink*

Post a Comment