Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Skinny Schminny

I had a mini meltdown as I looked at the calendar and realized our beach vacation was only a mere 4 1/2 weeks away.  Beach.  Shorts.  Bathing Suit.  Oye.  Got me to thinking....Are we ever satisfied with our bodies?  I surround myself with fit people.  Most of my friends are avid exercisers and healthy eaters.  Yet, there is rarely a time when I hear any of them say they are satisfied with their physique.  Actually, I've never heard this from anyone I know...including myself.  I've been at both ends of the spectrum....overweight and underweight and I can't recall any time in between that I felt satisfied.

As always, God has a way of pointing things out that we need to see or hear.  Just as I was mulling over my game plan for getting bathing suit ready, I read a friend's facebook post and decided I needed to read it more often ....and maybe pass it on to my friends:

Those of you that want to be "skinny" consider this: What most of us "health driven" people think of when we hear skinny is "skinny fat" This means someone with no muscle tone, just bone, flesh and fat! SKinny doesn't sound attractive when it's put that way huh? You may look thin on the outside but your heart may be dying on the inside. Be happy with yourself, your curves and the way God made you.  (thanks Ashlee Buchert)


I am all about working to be your best both for your health and aesthetics.  But I do think that along our fitness journey we should give ourselves a break.  Most of us are continual works in progress.....so wherever you are on your journey,  be kind to yourself.  

3 comments:

Tiffany Gormany said...

Thats Awesome, I needed to hear that myself. Yesterdays was one of those days that i just needed a break and didn't need to push it on overdrive. I'm a work in progress and i will get where i want to be with hard work, diligence and REST! LOL! Thanks Audrey, I'm loving your blog.

Audrey Estes said...

Thanks Tiffany! As always, you look fantastic! I missed you yesterday at zumba, but glad you got to rest! I know somedays, we just need a minute to breathe!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya girl! Very true on 'if we are ever happy with ourselves'... I needed to hear that post as well! :)

Post a Comment