Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pay it forward

One of my dearest and oldest friends has asked me to run in a 5K fun run with her next weekend.  This is her first 5K and she is nervous.  Besides the fact that she is my best friend and I would do anything for her, I feel a certain obligation to support her in this endeavor.

I ran in my first race 20 years ago.  It was on my 23rd birthday to be exact.  A friend paid my registration fee as my birthday gift.  Forget the girlie gifts like candles, books, jewelry...I got to do something I was sure I was gonna hate.  My friend even devoted her time to help me "train" for the race.  I had never run before - unless it was to the frig and back - and told myself I couldn't do it.  I had recently lost alot of weight and was not necessarily new to exercise.  I loved going to group fitness classes but I could never visualize myself as a runner.  I remember being totally in awe of my friend - with her wall full of trophies, ribbons and awards for all the races she had ran in.

We started going to the local track to train.  Baby steps.  I couldn't even run half way around the track without wanting to kill myself or her.  How is it that I could do aerobics for hours on end and not make it 10 minutes running in a circle????   She didn't give up on me.  We went back. Again.  And again.  And again.  Each time I ran a little bit longer and felt a little bit stronger. 

Race day came and I actually finished 2nd place in my age division.  I have my friend to thank for that.  Without her support and encouragement I would not have done it on my own.  She is a huge part of the reason I am a runner today.

Always strive for your own fitness goals....and then remember to lend a hand to others that need some help along their journey.  Don't forget to PAY IT FORWARD.

0 comments:

Post a Comment