Friday, March 4, 2011

"Losers visualize the penalties of failure, winners visualize the rewards of success" - Larry Bird

Bittersweet- both pleasant and painful.

A perfect word to describe the final game for the Lady Lions basketball season....and the final game in my daughter's high school career.    As a child,  Lindsey  "tried on" many different sports....tennis, gymnastics, cheerleading, softball and basketball....to try and find one with the right fit.  

I met my husband Ricky when Lindsey was in the 6th grade.  He changed her life in more ways than one.  Being a former basketball player and coach, Ricky knows more about  basketball than anyone I know.  It was his passion for the sport and his drive to help her succeed that influenced her love of the game.

In the beginning, Lindsey's basketball abilities were.....how can I say this delicately.....HORRENDOUS.   She spent the majority of her time "riding the pine" during her middle school and Jr. High years.    Not to be discouraged, she bided her time on the bench and continued to practice and learn all she could from her team, her coaches and mostly from Ricky.   Through the years, I have continued to be impressed and proud of the time and commitment she has devoted to being the best she could be.   She has had her good games and definitely her bad, but through them all she never once gave up.  She never once quit practicing.  She never once quit trying.  She never once lost her passion for the game.  

Ricky always said that what she learned during her basketball career would help her in the rest of her life.  Teamwork.  Courage.  Determination.  Sportsmanship.  Hard work.  Perseverance.   I see all of these in her.

Today, I want to devote this post to my daughter who I have watched grow as a player and as a person ..... Love you Linz.

0 comments:

Post a Comment