Friday, March 11, 2011

Spice of Life - Give me a dash of PIYO!!!!

Variety.  Isn't this what I preach to others when talking about creating a workout regimen?  I do try and have a variety of activities on my workout plate- running, Zumba, Bodypump - and most of the time I am open to trying new things I haven't done before.  Ask me to run bleachers, "I'm there!".....do a Turbokick class, "Sure!"......yoga, "Um, I think I'm busy..."

I have tried yoga in the past and decided I was way too immature for the class.  Something about the calming music and serene surroundings makes me want to......burst into laughter.  I know, how old am I right?  I wanted to like yoga and pilates....I wanted to be like all the celebs with their brightly colored yoga mats and cool designer yoga clothes.....It just wasn't hap'nin.

So, it was with a bit of skepticism that I decided to give PIYO - a combo of Pilates and Yoga - a go this morning.  I had been assured that it was not like the yoga I'd tried before.  (Let me just add, that I do admire and repect those that practice yoga and pilates regularly-  I know it takes alot of strength, conditioning and mental focus.  Plus, you get a body like Madonna and Jennifer Anniston.  What's not to love about that?  It's just not my cup o' tea.)

Back to PIYO.....Let me just say, I was very pleasantly surprised!  First off...no tinkling, "fall asleep head first down into your mat" music.  It  was current.  It was hip.  It was awesome.  The workout itself was a WORKOUT!  I was not bouncing off the walls, but I was definitely working up a big-time sweat.  There was a dash of plyometrics and a pinch of stretching and several cups of strength training and muscle conditioning.  I left feeling somewhat refreshed and exhausted at the same time.  Pretty good combo.   I will definitely be taking up on seconds!

0 comments:

Post a Comment